Monday, May 24, 2010

When I download a 689 KB pdf file, it takes 7min 35sec. How can I speed up my system?

I have a 2 yr old Compaq Presario with a 40 GB hard drive, showing 18.6 GB free space C Drive, 918 MB D Drive, 45.7 MB Free space on Physical Memory and 1.96 Free on Virtual Memory I am running a XP Home SP2 operating system.

When I download a 689 KB pdf file, it takes 7min 35sec. How can I speed up my system?
Downloading anything has hardly anything to do with your computer. You basically need a better internet connection or the server that you were downloading from isn't very good.
Reply:Your question pertains to your ISP. If you have "Dial-Up" service, then it will be PAINFULLY slow downloading. To improve download speeds you should see if you can get a broadband cable connection in your area. The next fastest download broadband connection would be an ADSL provider, like AOL, ATT Yahoo, Earthlink, and others. The last broadband option, and the least reliable, most expensive, is Satellite broadband from Hughs. Some things that you can do to your computer to speed it up, delete the temporary internet files, delete any programs that you do not use, download,update and run AVG Free, Spy-bot Search %26amp; Destroy, Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender. Make sure that your WinXP is updated. Make sure that your Adobe Reader is the latest version. Then do a "Defrag".


No comments:

Post a Comment