Monday, May 24, 2010

Moving files to new hard drive?

I recently bought the Seagate FreeAgent Desktop Drive. I have it installed and when the Drive Manager comes up, it only shows the Seagate F: drive. It doesn't show the original C: drive on my computer. I want to put a lot of games from the C: drive to the new F: drive to free up space on my original hard drive. How do I do this?





Basically, I bought the external hard drive because I have The Sims installed on my computer, and was losing a lot of GB. The game runs slow sometimes. Could that have anything to do with it, the fact that I was running out of space on my hard drive?





When running the game, sometimes my computer will say it's running low on memory, and is using virtual memory. Will having the new hard drive help this problem and free up my original hard drive and therefore free up more memory? Or should I get more stuff for my computer?





Thank You for any help and Happy Holidays!

Moving files to new hard drive?
Do you have your C: drive set to master? and the new drive set to slave?
Reply:You have several issues:


1. The C: drive HAS to be working if you can boot UNLESS you (re)installed the operating system on the F drive. Keep looking.


2. Adding hard drive space will not "free up memory". There are 2 ways to "free up memory":


a) Buy more memory and install it.


b) Uninstall or delete some currently running programs that you are not using, especially those that gobble up resources (memory). Sometimes, I find printers still installed that have been discarded 2 years prior, for example. One thing that gobbles up memory is spyware/malware. Reinstalling your operating system will remove spyware/malware as well as software you are no longer using. (If you format the hard drive) Hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment