Thursday, July 30, 2009

Memory low whilst file sharing?

First the facts: I am running Windows XP Pro on a 3.4 ghz Pentium 4 with 1.5 gb of ram and have allocated the max virtual memory on my c drive, 2 gb on my d drive, and 1 gb on my e drive. I frequently use utorrent, in addition to McAfee running in the background. After about a day or so of frequently dloading content (multiple gigs per day at 100-150 kbps). It appears that my memory gets occupied and after a day or so, tasks like playing mp3s or watching mpegs become noticeably bogged down (skips). However, after restarting, the problem is fixed (I suppose that this purges the occupied memory). Are there any programs/recommendations out there to alleviate this process? (Besides getting rid of any of the aforementioned programs) Thanks

Memory low whilst file sharing?
How EXACTLY do you know its your (primary?) memory that is causing the problem here? Honestly it really doesn't sound like is, this honestly sounds like a problem with the swap file, partly because you said yourself "allocated the max virtual memory on my c drive".





But if you really are looking into "clearing" your primary memory, all you need do is search download.com for stuff like memory management, although XP seems to do a decent job of it...what would work best is a program that simply closes all open programs, then restarts the system...thus clearing all memory.





Personally though, might sound like you would want to reformat your drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment