Friday, July 31, 2009

Hard Drive Partitioning?

I'm going to rebuild my system and Im going to buy a WD 150GB Raptor hard drive for my OS and my Programs. Some say is better to have also a separate partition for the Virtual Memory. Is this true? My build is going to have 4GB of fast ram. I will also add and partition a big hard drive for storage, but that one is easy.





Ay recommendations on partitioning my main hard drive (Raptor)?





Example of partitions order:


C:\20GB for Vista


D:\10GB for Virtual Memory and Temp Files


E:\\120GB for Programs





or





C:\140GB for Vista and Programs


D:\10GB for Virtual Memory and Temp Files





???

Hard Drive Partitioning?
Since you seem comfortable with drive partioning I would do this:





C:\ 40GB for Vista, Programs, and Virtual/Temp Files


D:\ 100GB for Data





You will have to point each application for file saves to the Data drive, this way the fastest access is for the loading of programs, OS and virtual mem. and very little fragmentation on C drive. Easy to back up data by pointing backup to D.





That's just how I would do it.
Reply:I would go your first option switching D and E just for ease of use I guess... It is faster to have a separate partition for the temp and virtual memory. It's actually even faster to have a whole separate hard drive if you could afford it, but we are talking milliseconds.


No comments:

Post a Comment