Sunday, August 2, 2009

DVD/CD ROM playback problems?

Hi all,





I'm relatively inexperienced with hardware/internal issues on my computer and have a problem that I can't fix:


I am running Windows XP Home. I keep upto date with patches, etc and my computer runs fine except for when I have a CD or DVD in my drive. when ever I am playing from the disc (or reading it or burning to it) my audio and video becomes garbled, jittery, like it reads a bit, then stops, reads some more, then stops. I just replaced the drive yesterday and the problem still persists. If I am listening to music or watching any video file (ether from my Ipod or a file on the hard drive), and try to read the disc in the player (such as from explorer), this happens. If I try to play an audio or video file from the disc, it happens. THis leads me to think it is not a hardware problem (at last not with the player).





THis morning, I removed any program that would have anything to do with my drive-itunes, real, rhapsody, cd ripping program, etc and the problem still remained when I tried to play an audio CD. Any suggestions?





Here is my system info:





OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition


Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600


OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation


System Name GIANTROBOT


System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation


System Model Dimension 4600i


System Type X86-based PC


Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz


BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A10, 5/17/2004


SMBIOS Version 2.3


Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS


System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32


Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2


Locale United States


Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"


User Name GIANTROBOT\Michael Williams


Time Zone Eastern Standard Time


Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB


Available Physical Memory 76.45 MB


Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB


Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB


Page File Space 1.08 GB


Page File C:\pagefile.sys

DVD/CD ROM playback problems?
Best way to get support is call dell. I think the problem is with IDE controller but if you call dell they will walk you through process of pinpointing problem.


Best of luck


No comments:

Post a Comment